Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is my go-to backup food. It’s quick and easy to make and durable in the backpack or lunch bag for the kids and myself. I somehow feel less guilty if I make PB&J as opposed to going to a fast food restaurant.
I was feeling adventurous today and decided to take it up a notch. I found a recipe for… wait for it… Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich! I’m hoping that my limited cooking skills can handle this : )
I found the recipe on Chow.com by Lisa Lavery.
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick, 4-by-5-inch-long) slices white sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Place the bread slices on a work surface and spread the peanut butter on 1 slice of bread and the jam on the other; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Add the 2 slices of bread filling-side up and cook until the bottoms are golden brown and the filling is warmed through, about 6 minutes.
- Using a flat spatula, flip 1 slice of bread onto the other to close the sandwich. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.